How to apply for English proficiency letter or certificate?

How to apply for English proficiency letter or certificate?
How to apply for English proficiency letter or certificate?

How to apply for English proficiency letter or certificate?: Certificates of proficiency in English are one of the indispensable documents for those who intend to study abroad. After all, not only will you need a good level of English for the application process , but you will also need to know the language in which the classes are taught.

Therefore, many universities — even in countries that do not speak English natively — require certificates such as TOEFL or IELTS from foreign students who intend to study there. This means that if you want to study abroad at some point in your life, you will need to take the tests corresponding to these certificates at some point.

To help with this process, here are the quickest ways to find out where the TOEFL, IELTS, CPE and CAE test locations are closest to you. Using the tools listed below, you will not only be able to find a place and time to take the test but also, in some cases, schedule it directly. Check out!

How to apply for English proficiency letter or certificate?


The TOEFL, or “Test of English as a Foreign Language”, is one of the most commonly requested English language tests by universities and educational institutions. It is created and administered by a non-profit organization called ETS (which stands for Educational Testing Service).

It is ETS itself that applies the test here in Brazil, through partnerships with other schools and organizations. As the test is done by computer, the application can be done in more places. For this reason, there are a large number of TOEFL locations and dates in the country, especially in capital cities.

If you want to know where (and when) you can take the TOEFL, the easiest way is to create an account on the website reserved by ETS for the subject (which can be accessed through this link).

You will need to provide information such as name and address, and at the end you will be able to select a period of up to 60 days and region to take the test. When you do this, the site will show you the schools that will administer the test in that period, and already gives you the option to register.


The acronym IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System, and designates an English test administered by a number of different organizations such as the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English.

As a rule, IELTS is one of the English proficiency certificates that is usually required by programs in the United Kingdom, Australia and other English-speaking countries outside America. In the American continent, in general, the TOEFL is more required.

In Brazil, IELTS is administered through the British Council, which offers the test in 14 cities across the country. They are (in alphabetical order): Belo Horizonte, Brasília, Campinas, Campo Grande, Curitiba, Fortaleza, Londrina, Manaus, Natal, Porto Alegre, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador and São Paulo.

To discover the most suitable dates and places to take the IELTS, just access the exam page on the Brazilian website of the British Council. There, you can see the next dates on which the test will be held in each city. If the location where you want to take the test does not appear there, you can also try checking it on the IELTS page on the British Council’s international website.


The CAE (Certificate in Advanced English) and the CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) are certificates of proficiency in English offered by the University of Cambridge . Like the FCE , they are issued to people who take English tests appropriate to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Refere for languages). The CEFR is an international standard for describing a person’s abilities with a foreign language.

Because they are CEFR-appropriate evidence, the CPE and CAE are often valid as documents proving a speaker’s proficiency in English. In this way, they end up being accepted in place of TOEFL or IELTS in short courses or work exchanges.

But be aware: many universities and other courses require the student to take the TOEFL or IELTS; in this case, even if he already has the CAE or CPE, he will need to take another test.

The simplest way to find a place to take the CPE or CAE is through the Brazilian Cambridge English website. There, you can choose which certificate you want to take and find all the places in Brazil that offer the corresponding proof.

Leave a Comment